FLUENT - Possible cause and available workarounds for the "File #f not found" error when loading an XY plot file into FLUENT on the Windows platform
This behavior is specific to Windows 2000. Attempting to load and plot a file in the File XY Plot panel (in the GUI select Plot...File) without a .xy extension in its name causes an error dialog box to appear with the message "File #f not found".
To work around the problem, the user can do one of three things:
1. Load the file from the TUI
> plot/file filename
2. Make sure plot files have a .xy extension. (the default file extension for monitor output files is .out)
3. Turn of the Windows 2000 hidden file extension "feature".
I recommend performing step 3, as this Windows "feature" causes too much
confusion for the user. Here are the steps to turn off this feature:
1. Open the Windows 2000 Control Panel (Start/Settings/Control Panel)
2. Open "Folder Options" in the Control Panel.
3. Click the "View" tab.
4. Clear the "Hide file extensions for known file types" check box.
5. Click "OK" at the bottom of the "Folder Options" panel.